Wednesday, January 24, 2007

a good yarn

i have been doing more knitting since i finished signal's patchwork trix-coloured blanket. (and when i say "finished" i really mean "finished" - that is, with all the little ends and tags woven in and trimmed. i was tempted to take a picture of the back of the blanket just to prove i was "finished" but that seemed like overkill. especially since this is not primarily a knitting blog.)

so, that being said. when i finished the blanket, i started on what i like to call "ru's catalogue hat 1." i call it that because i wrote a pattern and knit it up based on a photo of a hat i liked in the mec (mountain equipment co-op) fall winter 2006 catalogue. let me go see if i can find it on their website...

yes, yes i did. you can see what the original hat looked like here.

and so i set about emulating the hat with the remainder of the yarns i used to make the midwives' baby-catching/windshield-scraping mitts. i think i even did a reasonably good job, but i did mess up the decrease. so i have changed the name of the hat from "ru's catalogue hat 1" to "the acorn hat." surely you can tell why!

here i am modelling the hat. you will see that it is a bit large. i had intended for it to be a large, but i think it might be a bit too large for me. so a present it becomes. but that's okay - i have the perfect person in mind!

and, for those of you who are interested, here is the pattern (as it is knitted here, as well as with notation on how you might make it more like the hat on which it was modeled).

the acorn hat [with modifications to ru's catalogue hat 1]

needles: 5 US 11 (8mm) double-pointed needles (i used brittany birch)
yarn: lion brand yarn wool-ease thick & quick (super-chunky weight wool/acrylic blend)
- main colour (mc): 131 (grass)
- contrasting colour 1 (cc1): 135 (spice)
- contrasting colour 2 (cc2): 106 (sky blue)

in mc, cast on 60 stitches, divided evenly over needles
join in round and place marker (if you do that sort of thing)

work in 1x1 rib (k1p1, repeat) for 6 rounds

knit 3 rounds
[for the catalogue hat, at this point you would *knit 13, knit 2 together *repeat to end of round, then knit 2 rounds]

switch to cc1, knit 3 rounds
[same for catalogue hat, the big difference you have now is that you have fewer stitches above the ribbing, which should reduce the weird acornic bulge that i achieved with my version]

switch to cc2, knit 4 rounds
[yeah, this is the same too, the only changes should come in the decrease for the top; and of course, i have not actually knit the adaptations that i think will make it look more like the catalogue; i suppose i could frog the other hat and try again; but that is so unlike me!]

switch back to cc1, knit 3 rounds
[does this look like the decrease to you? keep reading!]

switch back back to mc , knit 2 rounds
[yes, the "back back" was on purpose - it's like hitting the "back" button twice on your browser, taking you back two steps instead of one...]

begin decrease:
[now you can start looking here again]:

*knit 2, knit 2 together *repeat to end of round (45 stitches remain)
[*knit 2, knit 2 together *repeat to end of round (42 stitches remain)]

knit 1 round

* knit 1, knit 2 together *repeat to end of round (30 stitches remain)
[*knit1, knit 2 together *repeat to end of round (28 stitches remain)]

knit 1 round

*knit 2 together *repeat to end of round (15 stitches remain)
[*knit 2 together *repeat to end of round (14 stitches remain)]

knit 1 round

*knit 2 together *repeat to last stitch of round, knit 1 (8 stitches remain)
[*knit 2 together *repeat to end of round (7 stitches remain)]

knit 1 round

*knit 2 together *repeat to end of round (4 stitches remain)
[pull yarn through remaining 7 stitches, cinch to close up top, and weave in ends]

pull yarn through remaining 4 stitches, cinch to close up top, wonder why it looks a little acornish, weave in ends

No comments: