Wednesday, May 30, 2007

foodie

And so the solids explorations continues. Signal has had avocado 5 times, and it seems to be going well. It took until day three for him to actually enjoy it. Here he is, happily chowing down on his smushed-up 'cado.

The only other food we have tried with him is banana. The first day he tried it, this was his reaction:

He was not particularly impressed, as you can see. However, I gave him some again yesterday and it went better. Poor guy. I think he is just getting used to all of the tastes and textures. And I have to feel for him - so far we've introduced two foods I don't even like!

I am trying to be careful not to introduce solids too quickly. Despite his size, Signal has never been that big of an eater. He eats often, but not too much at a time. I am watching his bottle intake very carefully to make sure he is still getting at least 24oz a day, as that is what I have read to be the recommended minimum daily intake for the first year. Basically, research seems to say that there is no way to get enough solids into their little stomachs to really "feed" them during their first year, so the majority of their nutrition needs to come from breastmilk or formula. Oh, how times have changed from feeding 2 month old babies heaps of rice cereal!

For the most part, we are just doing solids to keep him from stealing stuff off our plates. The next food to be introduced will be sweet potato. Should be interesting. I wonder what Signal really thinks of it all. I think he's just happy to be able to play with a bowl and spoon :)

1 comment:

ru said...

my, what a cute baby you have! i would like to hold him sometime!