Wednesday, August 01, 2007

new food

Yesterday, for the first time ever, I gave Signal a crunchy food. What was it, you ask? Organic brown rice puffs. Think Rice Krispies, but made with brown rice so that they have a bit of a firmer texture, and more nutritional value.

I honestly didn't know what he would think, considering that everything he has eaten so far has either had the texture of applesauce or mashed potatoes. But he loved them! I put some on his high chair tray, and he got a few into his mouth all by himself. After that, though, his hands were wet with spit, and the rice puffs wouldn't come off into his mouth, so I fed them to him by hand. We had no gagging, and he only spit one out! It was awesome.

Now, when we're out an about, I'll be able to bring a bit of a snack that I know won't spoil in the heat. (This is good, because today it is 30 degrees Celsius IN our apartment.) Signal is generally still getting solids only once a day, but sometimes it would be nice to have a little something to distract him when we have lunch or supper out but don't want to have to worry about bringing a whole meal for him. I am very excited about this.

The same company that makes the rice puffs also makes millet puffs, so I think that I will have to try them out as well. Not right away, as grains are still pretty low on the hierarchy of foods we are feeding Signal, but perhaps later in the month. At the rate he eats them, the bag of rice puffs will last a while anyhow. And, from the looks of things, we aren't going to have any trouble holding off on wheat until at least 9 months. With oats, barley and rice now introduced into his diet in various forms, we aren't in any dire need of other grains. And considering how hard wheat can be to digest, the longer we can hold off, the better I will feel.

5 comments:

ru said...

mmmmmmmm - millet puffs!

Alex Elliot said...

Not quite sure what a Millet Puff is. I'm pretty sure that a candy bar would taste better though! I'm going to do a post on the solids question you asked me.

Carroll said...

what company is that? just for us other moms who might want to give 'em a try!

librariana said...

Who makes the puffs???

M said...

The puffs are made by Nature's Path. I purchased them at Ambrosia.