Tuesday, August 28, 2007

number 3 and 4

Signal's third and fourth teeth have now made an appearance. The third tooth (upper centre right) made its way fully through the gum a week ago today; the fourth (upper centre left) started poking out today. No photographic evidence to be had, since he is not in any mood to flash them for the camera. So you'll have to take our word for it.

When he is teething, there seems to be very little we can do to help Signal feel better. We have tried acetaminophen and ibuprofen. We have tried numbing gels. Frozen washcloths. Cooled teethers. Wooden teethers. Really, nothing has helped our babe out much. I am now seriously considering purchasing an amber teething necklace for him, like this one. They are not meant to be chewed on; Baltic amber is reported to have analgesic properties, and some moms swear by them when their babies are teething. The necklaces are knotted between each bead, so if they break, there is no choking hazard. And they have magnetic clasps so that the release if they get stuck on something.

The amber may be our last hope, because I am nearing my wits end with the teething and associated sleepless nights. On Friday night, Signal was up crying pretty much non-stop from 12:45am to 3:15am. Saturday night wasn't bad, but then Sunday he woke up 5 times to drink. And then last night, it took me over an hour and a half to get him to bed! I know that teething is a big part of it, coupled with the legendary 9 month sleep regression. But Ru and I are really getting tuckered out. We know it's just a phase, but when you're living through it man does it ever seem interminable.

3 comments:

englishgenie said...

Hi Ru and M,

I don't know if Signal uses a pacifier, but the brand called "Soothie" is 100% silicone and my son uses it as a teether more effectively than anything else.

Christina said...

I remember my sister ended up using a a couple of homeopathic remedies from Whole Foods that seemed to help both nieces with teething (I can vouch having babysat one of them during a particularly bad tooth cycle). I'll double check with her and email you with the info.

Carroll said...

My littlest guy is enjoying chewing on "Sophie" the giraffe, by a french company called "vulli". It has been made for the last 40 years, and is made of non-toxic rubber, and non-toxic paint. It also makes a cute squeak. He likes to mow down on the head. It might be worth a try...