Saturday, August 11, 2007

who is this child in my living room?

Yesterday, 3 days after turning 8 months old, Signal started to crawl. He did it! He had been getting up on all fours and rocking back and forth for a few weeks now, but he hadn't shown any signs of wanting to go forward. In fact, I think that several head-bonking incidents had caused him to not want to try and go forward at all. But yesterday the lure of the charm on my Crocs was too much. He began "chasing" them, so I moved back. And as he got closer, I moved back again. And then he was crawling!

Signal has done it a few times since as well. He is still slow and tentative, but I know that won't last for long. Looks like Ru and I will have to embark upon some more serious baby-proofing. Especially since this means that Signal will now be able to get to more pieces of furniture to pull up on. If you've ever been to our place, you know that there aren't that many pieces of furniture that don't move when pushed. So the next little while could be veeeery interesting.

I also had my finger in Signal's mouth this morning, and it seems that the upper right hand tooth is finally starting to break through his gum. Which could explain the horrible night we had on Thursday. It seems that our chiropractor's statement that a new milestone often accompanies a new tooth is correct in Signal's case. The last tooth came the same week he learned to sit unsupported.

Babies are really cool beings! Always changing and growing and just generally surprising you. In the last 8 months our baby has gained 14 pounds, grown almost 10 inches, and has learned to do a myriad of things. He has turned from a little blob in my arms to a boy who won't sit still and has a smile that lights up the room. It makes me both nostalgic and really proud, all at the same time. We love you Signal!

6 comments:

omaopa said...

Congratulations Signal!! And to the proud moms. Look forward to a video clip.

kidletsmum said...

Congratulations Signal! I can't wait to see you and view this crawling in person!!!

False Prophet said...

Yay Signal! From across the pond, I congratulate you sir. ;-)

pussreboots said...

Congratulations Signal! By ten or eleven months you'll be running.

Carroll said...

Hooray! Now he'll be able to rip across our backyard on Saturday!

MadJenny said...

Oh my gosh! Crawling! What a smart boy that Signal is.