Monday, September 10, 2007

self-feeding

Signal seems to be getting more and more frustrated with the fact that I am spoon-feeding him every day. And while I know that really, the best thing for babies is just to self-feed, Signal seems to not be too keen on that idea. He loves his rice puffs, but if I put them on his tray, he'll pick them up and specifically not put them in his mouth. That seems to be a task reserved for me.

Why do I care, you ask? Well, if I was a nursing mama, I wouldn't care. I'd just give him little bits of soft foods to self-feed, and he could eat as much or as little as he wanted to. But being on formula, when Signal doesn't eat at least some solids every day (I'm talking 3-4 oz of solids or so,) he makes up for it by drinking. A LOT. Yesterday he has more than 40 oz of formula. The day before it was even more than that. Which gets pricey, really. Not to mention the fact that a lot of that milk is consumed overnight, making for a less than restful sleep.

So today I broke down and bought him some sugar-laden Mum-Mum rusks to see if he'd eat them. He took a few tentative bites, but didn't seem overly impressed. However, just holding on to a Mum-Mum while I spoon-fed him some sweet potatoes took at least some of the frustration out of the situation for him. Which was good for all involved.

Signal taking his first taste.


Going at it with a bit more gusto.

Hopefully he'll get the hang of it soon. Either that or I am going to be feeding him bits and pieces of things with my fingers instead of a spoon. Another option, I suppose. But it would be oh so much easier if he would do it himself.

3 comments:

pussreboots said...

Maybe he's not keen on the texture of the soft foods. My daughter really got excited about self feeding when I started offering her the same thing I was eating. Maybe you just haven't found his favorite foods yet. Good luck!

Alex Elliot said...

I was just going to say the same thing. My older one ate soft foods until well over a year (he finally starting eating some solids at 11 months), but my younger son was completely off of baby food by 7 months because he refused to eat it. He wanted to eat what we were eating. The crockpot has been great because it's a happy medium. Our food, but much softer than if I had baked it in the oven or cooked it on the stove.

ru said...

well, we tried it all. we tried giving him torn up bits of what we had on our plates. we tried giving him little bits of avocado he could pick up and feed himself.

nope, nada, nothin'.

finally, in desperation, we gave him a spoon to play with while we feed him.

worked like a charm! he loves to wave it around, bang it on the table or his high chair tray, and dip it into his bowl. but feed himself? put something into his own mouth to eat? forget about it! he just wants to play at it. which is fine - at least we have him eating again!