Thursday, January 24, 2008

13 month stats

With the holidays and all of our travels, we fell behind of Signal's well-baby visits. When I broke down and decided that I really needed to see the doctor yesterday to get my throat checked out, I figured it would be a perfect time to have him looked at as well.

Dr. Y checked me out and gave me some antibiotics. Now, I'm not one to jump on the antibiotic bandwagon lightly, but my left tonsil was so swollen that is was touching my uvula, and the pain from it was radiating into my ear. The doctor thinks that it is likely a step infection, so I'm on the antibiotics for 7 days. I'm chasing them with a healthy dose of probiotics to try and avoid the more unpleasant effects of amoxicillin.

When I was done it was Signal's turn. Since we haven't had any issues, the checkup didn't last that long. We did let Dr. Y know that we had safely re-introduced green peas into Signal's diet with no ill effects, and we were given the green light to try other legumes as well (with the exception of peanuts, of course.) Then it came time for the measurement portion of the visit. I have to say that despite the fact that he has always been a big kid, Signal's stats this time around kind of took me by surprise! Here they are:

Weight: 28 pounds
Height: 33 inches
Head circumference: 20 inches

Huge!


28 pounds?!?! Seriously? Now, I don't really care that he's heavy, but I do care about keeping him rear-facing in his car seat for as long as possible. The limit on his Britax Marathon is 30 pounds for rear-facing. Which means I am going to have to turn him much, much sooner than I though I'd have too. Then I'll spend all my time worrying about getting in an accident and causing him spinal damage. And with his big head I have reason to be worried! Ack! Oh well, it's not like I'm going to put him on a diet to keep him rear-facing. Looks like he'll be forward facing by the time we travel to Quebec for the annual Irish Show. Can I have a cyber-hug from some blog readers about this? Please tell me he'll slim back down and I'll be able to turn him back!

2 comments:

Jen said...

It *is* very possible that he was just in an "out-growing" phase and will now enter an "up-growing" phase, and he won't put on more poundage but might grow taller. I'll cross my fingers for you!

Alex Elliot said...

Wow! I doubt this is helpful but with my older one I waited as long as possible to flip his carseat. With the younger one I couldn't wait because of course he wants to do everything that his brother can do and it was causing a lot of problems. Plus it was easier for them to poke each other when YS was rear facing since they could look at each other. And then there was the trip that we let OS watch the DVD player in the rental car and YS was still rear facing so a ton of crying ensued.