Sunday, January 20, 2008

m's meal plan, january 20 through 26

Inspired by another blog that I read in passing this week, I have decided that from now on I will post a copy of our meal plan on the blog each Sunday. I only meal plan for supper, as breakfasts are generally toast or cereal and lunches are leftovers, but suppers are a big thing here at our house. Ru and I are very into food. And so we like to have nice and tasty meals each night that allow us to have some time as a family.

With the start of our Green Earth Organics deliveries this week, we have a lot of produce to use up before next Thursday. This means that the meal plan has to incorporate as many of the ingredients from the box as possible. It's great to have so many fresh items on hand; paired with our pantry items, we're going to be able to get by with minimal grocery store purchases. We'll also be doing a better job of eating the recommended amount of fruits and veggies each day, something we definitely want to model for Signal. Good eating habits are certainly learned. Considering how much he loves broccoli and carrots, I guess we're not doing too badly so far. But the more fresh, whole foods he can enjoy the better.

Here's our plan for this week:

Sunday - Cauliflower dahl with naan bread
Monday - Chicken cacciatore over whole wheat rigatoni
Tuesday - Tacos in a pan
Wednesday - Tuna steaks with sweet potato fries and sauteed chard
Thursday - Butternut squash and parsnip soup with whole wheat loaf
Friday - Cuban beef stew with rice and beans
Saturday - Chinese fondue and chocolate fondue (we're having guests!)

My hope is that by typing out the meal plan every week, I will be more likely to be accountable for my actions and actually make sure that I cook what I said I was going to cook. I have to work on not checking out on a rough day at home by calling for pizza or some other fast food. So do check up on me!

3 comments:

MadJenny said...

Oh my! That all sounds so delicious! I'm jealous.

kidletsmum said...

Can I eat at your house?

M said...

I only wish you were close enough, kidletsmum! If you have a slow cooker and are interested, I'll send you the recipe for the cauliflower dahl. It was really good and very easy to prep.