Thursday, February 21, 2008

just for a

This is not a post about diapering. Or a post about the baby. Or even a post about meal planning. This is a post just for A, all about a little mishap we had last night involving the cold cold weather and her beloved Diet Coke.

On Sunday we had a bit of a get together. There were lots of people in our little apartment, and lots of food and drinks to be had. Because we have limited space in our fridge, we put all of the drinks (cans in cases) on the back porch to stay cold. Of course, it was about 5 degrees Celsius on Sunday and again on Monday, but the soda stayed nice and cool.

Last night, while hanging out in the living room folding laundry and doing other sundry activities, we heard a loud bang. It sounded like someone had chucked a large snowball/ice chunk at our back (porch) door. Ru and I looked at each other in confusion. I said to her "Oh no! Do you think that some of the soda exploded?" Ru said no, that she doubted it, and went out on the porch to check. About two seconds later she poked her head in and said "Yes, yes it did."

When she showed me the can and the case it had been in we fell into hysterical fits of laughter. I was rather amazed at what had happened. I think it could have seriously hurt someone had it popped near them, but luckily it didn't. It just made a serious mess.

The case. The hole blown in the side? That's where the can blew out.


A close-up of the hole, with frozen Diet Coke everywhere.


The offending can, with the top blown clear off.


The moral of the story is that while it might be okay to leave Diet Coke out on the porch in 5 degree weather, do not leave it out for long periods when it is -20 degrees Celsius outside. None of the other drinks (Coke, Dr Pepper and iced tea) suffered the same fate. But whatever is in Diet Coke seems to make it a rather delicate item. You have been warned!!

4 comments:

mamamilkers said...

This happened once in my dad's car when I was little! What a mess.

MadJenny said...

That's a pretty shocking explosion!

Once I put a diet coke in the fridge at AN - and the fridge got turned way down. This was the day after the scariest staff member there had spent an hour cleaning it. The diet coke exploded. I thought she was going to knock me down and dry to smoke me. I don't think I've ever been so scared.

False Prophet said...

Let's hope Deranged Squirrel heeds the warning: Diet Coke kills! :)

kidletsmum said...

Yikes madjenny! I suspect I know who you mean and YIKES!!!

I'm so glad I only drink full sugar Coke!