Tuesday, September 02, 2008

proud of my supper

This morning when I woke up, I had every intention of making pasta for supper. Baked penne with chicken and sauteed mushrooms, covered in melted cheese. However, when supper time rolled around, pasta wasn't sounding so good anymore. Maybe it was all the fresh corn we consumed at my parents' place this weekend, but I had corn on the brain. Cornbread, to be exact. It's what I really wanted.

Now, I'd never made cornbread before. In all honesty, I think I've only eaten cornbread once or twice in my whole life before today. So off to Mothering I went in search of an easy cornbread recipe. I found one that I had all the ingredients for, and I'll share it with you here. It was really easy and really delicious, especially topped with salted butter.

1 cup cornmeal
1 cup whole wheat flower
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
1/4 cup oil
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 cup milk (any kind - the recipe called for rice milk but said you could use anything. I used whole milk.)
Preheat oven to 425 Fahrenheit. Put 1-2 tbsp of butter in a cast iron skillet and put it in the oven to preheat while you mix you batter. Mix all dry ingredients well in a bowl. In a separate bowl, mix wet ingredients. Combine wet ingredients with dry, mixing until just combined so that you don't develop too much gluten in your batter. Pour batter into preheated skillet and bake 18-20 minutes. Cut and enjoy!

My finished cornbread.


To go with the cornbread, I made a carrot/ginger/curry soup with two handfuls of quinoa thrown in for protein. It was lovely and fallish and made me think of my favourite season despite the fact that it was 32 degrees outside today with the humidity.

Said delicious soup.


The whole meal was just fab. I can definitely see this being one of our more popular fall meals. The sweetness of the cornbread worked wonderfully with the curry and ginger in the soup. It was warming and comforting and took me less than 45 minutes from start to finish. Hooray for late summer yumminess and come on fall!


3 comments:

omaopa said...

Sounds and looks great. Wish I could have been there to enjoy!

kidletsmum said...

Yum, yum, yum! That sounds divine! Care to share your soup recipe as well?

Marie said...

I was hoping you might post the soup recipe too! :)