Sunday, September 07, 2008

soup "recipe"

A few comments were left on a previous post, asking for my recipe for carrot/ginger/curry soup. My heart kind of sank when I read them. Truth is, I don't really have a recipe for said soup. I've been making it for so long that I just eyeball the ingredients and throw them all in a pot and go. I gave it some thought, however, and figured out some approximations. So for those of you that were interested, here it (kinda) is.

Olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, sliced
2 medium potatoes, diced (I leave the skin on)
4 medium or 3 large carrots, diced
1-inch knob of fresh ginger, minced
1/2 tsp of thyme
1/2 tsp of fresh black peppers
1 heaping tsp of curry powder
Chicken or veggie stock to cover
2 handfuls of quinoa
Salt to taste

In a few tsps of olive oil, sautée onions over medium-high heat until translucent and fragrant. Add garlic, being careful not to brown. After 2-3 minutes, add potatoes and carrots and sautée for about 5 minutes. Then add the minced ginger and cook for about 1 minute longer. Add all of the spices except the salt and turn the heat up to high, then add enough stock to cover all of the veggies (I find you need at least 4 cups.) Bring to a boil, and add two handfuls of quinoa. Simmer the soup over medium heat for about half an hour, until the potatoes and carrots are tender and the quinoa has unfurled. Using either a stand blender or an immersion blender (an immersion blender is easier) purée the soup until quite smooth. The soup will not be totally smooth if you have left the skin of your potatoes. Return the soup to the pot if you have used a stand blender and test for seasonings, adding salt and more pepper if required. Serve and enjoy!

I hope that this turns out for you. Don't be afraid to add more stock if the soup seems too thick, or add some milk or cream after puréeing the soup if you'd like a richer texture. At our house, this makes enough soup for supper for three (Signal LOVES soup) as well as leftovers for lunch the next day. If you make it, please do let me know who (or if) it worked out for you.

No comments: