Wednesday, May 06, 2009

rawr rawr

As a stay-at-home parent, I sometimes struggle with what to DO with Signal all day. When the weather is good we try to get outside, but when it's bad, I feel like we quickly go a bit stir-crazy around here. Being a one-car family, I rarely have the car during the day, meaning that I can't just pack up and head to the store or mall or a friend's house if I feel like I'm going to tear out my hair either.

Enter No Time for Flash Cards. The ever-helpful and talented EcoMum recently made me aware of this really fun web site with cool crafts and activities for preschoolers. There are lots of simple crafts. There are book recommendations. Nothing takes a ton of prep, nor does it require a whole lot of complicated supplies. So late week, Signal and I set about to make a stuffed monster.

Signal loved it. Loved getting to use the glue stick and the googly eyes especially. Had a lot of fun ripping the paper and stuffing it inside the monster's body. When all was said and done, Rawr Rawr (as Signal named his creation) was born.


Signal did all of the decorating with the exception of drawing the teeth. I thing he did a fantastic job. I especially like how Rawr Rawr's eyes are not at exactly the same level. I think it gives him a rather jaunty air.

The boy and his monster.

Teaching Rawr Rawr about dinosaurs.

Clearly, I need to get into the habit of crafting with Signal more often. I recently came to the realization that the boy is 2 and a half, and has never ever played with play dough! Geez, what kind of Mommy am I? Anyone have a favourite recipe for the home made variety?


2 comments:

Megan said...

I have two recipies One is edible and one isn't

The Edible one:
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup non-fat dry milk
2/3 T of Honey (optional)
Mix peanut butter and dry milk
Add Honey (optional)
Knead and mix until a good doug-like consistency
Keeps well in covered container but doesn't harden well

Non Edible
1 Cup Flour
1/4 Cup of Salt
2 Tbsp cream of tarte
1 Cup of Water
2 tsp Food Coloring
1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
Cook over med heat
Stir for 3 - 5 minutes
Keep stirring and scrapping bottom of the pot until it forms a ball.
Turn off heat and knead on floured surface and cool
Store in an air tight container
Its non-toxic and can be eaten but it tastes horrible (very salty tasting)

Julia said...

I grew up with some version of the second recipe. I swear you get used to the saltiness after awhile... The only downside was that the colours were never as vivid as the store-bought stuff. I think that if you add enough colouring to make it really bright, you risk staining everything it touches. It probably affects the taste, too. ;) Who knows, maybe the food colourings have improved a bit over the past 25+ years.